Reflection 1

I was born and grew up in China, and had taken Chinese traditional education for 10 years. In my opinion, the education mode in China is typical instructor-centered: every class has a director, which oversees inspecting learning situation of each student, and the director also teach a main course, like mathematics, English, or Mandarin Chinese. When I was in junior high school, there were about 60 students in a class. The courses were highly synchronous. Every student in the same class take the same courses and write the same assignments. The assignments are assigned by the instructors and mostly are recitation and transcription. The method of management in Chinese education might be the most efficient according to Chinese national conditions: China has a large population, and in 2015, there were 43.12 million junior high school students according to the statistics. Such a large population does not allow Chinese education system to create much customized content.

I personally prefer student-centered courses. I have been studying in University of Victoria for last three years. I found that university courses are relative student-centered (same in China). Instructors are not the core of courses. However, I think that student-centered courses require students to have a strong capacity of self-control. Some students lack willpower and time management skills, and finally they cannot get a satisfactory result on the courses. If a student is not self-determined, then instructor-centered courses might be more suitable for him. And that could be one of the reasons why instructor-centered courses are suitable for kids and student-centered courses are suitable for adults.

As an economics student, I believe that time has been more and more expensive nowadays, and thanks to the development of 5G and cloud computing, using fragmented time to study could be a trend in the near future. People need courses to be more flexible so that they can arrange their time efficiently; in other words, people will need student-centered courses more.